Waking Up in Community
Friday the 6th November | 6:30pm - 9:00 pm
Saturday the 7th November | 10:00am - 6:00 pm
Sunday the 8th November | 10:00am - 6:00 pm
Academy Founder and President Aaron Stern teams up with Lama Tsomo of the Namchak Foundation for a special workshop focused on bringing your inner practice into everyday life. Among the goals: creating the habit of staying in connection with your true self and others, whatever comes your way.
Who this workshop is for:
Whether you’re reeling from national news and events, are struggling with a transition, or feeling a lack of meaning in your everyday life, the practices taught and experienced at this workshop will help equip you to transform your inner and outer relationships at home, at work, and in community. No prior experience required! You’ll emerge with greater perspective and new skills – ready to show up in the world with authenticity and leadership.
What to expect:
Lama Tsomo and Aaron Stern bring their practices together to create a unique experience that weaves together inner and outer work through guided meditations, experience-based reflective exercises, and interactive dialogues. Participants can expect time for solo and shared reflection.
Practices will include:
- An introduction to 7-point mind training a Buddhist practice designed to hack everyday challenges into opportunities for growth and happiness.
- Modern techniques for increasing awareness in real time and redirecting action, based on the Academy’s ‘Learning as a Practice for Waking Up’ approach.
- The ancient Buddhist practice of Vipassana (Sublime Seeing—Insight) meditation, taught Tibetan style by Lama Tsomo.
Schedule (Please note all times are Mountain time zone):
- Friday, November 6th: 6:30 pm – 9 pm MT
- Saturday, November 7th: 10 am – 6 pm MT
- Sunday, November 8th: 10 am – 6 pm MT
- Tier 1: $35
- Tier 2: $50
- Tier 3: $75
- Tier 4: $100
- Tier 5: $125
- Use the code community to receive a 50% discount
- Our intention is to make this retreat financially accessible to all so we offer a tiered fee structure. Please choose whichever level works best for you. If the program costs present a financial barrier please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the teachers:
Lama Tsomo is an American lama, author, and co-founder of the Namchak Foundation. She followed a path of spiritual inquiry and study that ultimately led to her ordination as one of the few American lamas in Tibetan Buddhism. Lama Tsomo learned Tibetan to study with her teacher Gochen Tulku Sangak* Rinpoche, and now shares the teachings of the Namchak lineage in the US and abroad. Lama Tsomo holds a master’s degree in Counseling Psychology and is the author of the award-winning book, “Why Is the Dalai Lama Always Smiling? An Introduction and Guide to Tibetan Buddhist Practice.” She is passionate about reaching young people and supporting those working for positive social change.
Aaron Stern, president and founder of the Academy for the Love of Learning, is a musician, teacher, and internationally recognized consultant on learning. As the Academy’s creative and educational leader, Stern designs and directs it’s core curriculum and faculty, guides program development, and offers select trainings. Stern works throughout the US and other parts of the world, and serves as a member of the Board and Fellow of the Mind & Life Institute, co-founded by His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
Namchak brings ancient meditation practices to modern life through online learning, in-person retreat, and a vibrant community guided by Tibetan masters and Western teachers. We support students on every step of the path, from those exploring mindfulness for the first time to more experienced students looking to deepen their practice. We offer a variety of learning programs, including in-person teaching, small group learning, online courses, and soon-to-be established residential retreats at the Namchak Retreat Ranch in western Montana.
Request more information
To learn more about Waking Up in Community use the form below to contact The Academy.