The Academy for the Love of Learning is seeking a full-time Director of Operations. The Operations Department of the Academy for the Love of Learning ensures the smooth and efficient provision of operational support for Academy programs and events and the overall fulfillment of the Academy mission and vision. Academy operations includes the Academy office staff, as well as office technology, equipment, processes and procedures; Human Resources staff, processes, and procedures; the Academy facility and campus; finance; general administration; and all IT and audio-visual systems.
The Director of Operations leads a team responsible for the high-level functioning of the Academy’s operations, administration, facilities and human resources. The Director of Operations provides the leadership and accountability to the strategic direction needed to deliver the Academy’s mission as effectively, safely, and efficiently as possible.
The Director of Operations is responsible for efficiency and innovation across the organization, including AV/IT, human resources, and office management. The Director of Operations contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices and is committed to the Academy’s mission and values, inclusive engagement, building community, equity and learning as a practice.
The Director of Operations is a member of the senior leadership team, reporting directly to the President. This position may also interact with the Board of Trustees.
Principle Areas of Responsibility:
(1) Direct the overall operations of the Academy, including
- Lead development of and oversee implementation of organization’s operational strategies, policies, and practices
- The development and management of the Operations Department’s annual budget
- Direct and manage the Academy’s Operations department personnel, including the Operations Manager, the Director of Academy Center Development, Finance and Administration staff, office administrative staff, and various contractors
- Ensure the documentation of meetings and discussions and the sharing and direction of action items with relevant team members
- Direct and/or conduct training sessions on a variety of topics, including AV/IT, staff orientations, and onboarding of new employees
- Regularly meet with President around organizational operations
- Vision and hold operational innovation in key areas such as online learning, communication tools, professional development and presentation hardware/ software
(2) Direct and manages the Academy’s Human Resource
(i) Collaborate with the Academy’s General Counsel and Finance Consultant (CPA) on:
- Academy budget
- Financial reporting, audit, and tax reporting
- Legal compliance issues
(ii) Oversight of the administration of payroll and all employee benefits
(iii) Implementation and updating of the Employee Manual
(iv) Manage hiring and termination processes
- Terms & conditions of hire via Finance: offer letter, hours, salary, and employment documentation
- Post job openings
- Review resumés
- Respond to applicants and collaborating with point person for the job posting to build out a hiring process plan.
- Create and maintain Academy training and orientation manual and coordinate new hire training plan and schedule with hiring manager
- Ensure that new hires are assigned a functioning work-station and are supplied with computer, phone extension, email address, etc.
(v) Coordinate with contractors and internal HR reps on employee dispute resolution processes.
(vi) Manage Academy operations contractors, including the Academy’s General Counsel and CPA, and IT and audio-visual consultants
(3) Operational system and event and program support:
- Develop and implement strategic development of Academy operations in order to meet the growing needs and potential of the Academy mission and vision
- Improve, innovate and maintain the AV/IT systems, processes and policies in support of the organization’s mission and values. This includes managing the office calendar functions, AV functionality and growth and maintaining the general office environment
- Lead and direct long-term IT and audio-visual strategic planning and development, including initiatives geared toward online delivery of programming and world-class event hosting, ensuring operational excellence and innovation
- Participate in financial modeling of developing projects and programs from an Operations perspective
- Direct and oversee operational support for Academy events and programs, in coordination with other departments and Project Managers
(4) Oversee facilities/land management staff and contractors, including maintenance of office building, campus, and equipment
(5) Member of the Academy’s Senior Leadership Team, supporting the Academy’s President, and with shared responsibility for the strategic leadership of the whole Academy
- Assist in developing individual program and department budgets in coordination with Leadership Team and Finance Manager
Qualifications & Skill Set:
- Strong commitment to proactively identifying solutions to operational challenges
- Strong knowledge of AV/IT issues and innovations
- Excellent ability to think and plan strategically
- Strong analytical writing skills and oral communication skills
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple priorities at once
- Willingness to be flexible with work hours
- Detail-oriented and willing to hold themselves and others accountable while being sensitive to diverse perspectives
- Strong desire and ability to communicate and work with racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and
gender diverse communities
- Ability to develop and present information before various group sizes and diverse audiences
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a diverse team
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field preferred, plus two to five years of directly-related senior management experience preferably working in a nonprofit capacity. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be substituted, as long as it directly relates to the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Please email a letter of interest, resume, and contact information of two references as .pdf attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application deadline: September 15th, 2019
- No phone calls please
The Academy for the Love of Learning does not practice or permit discrimination on the basis of sex, sexual orientation, age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, or physical handicap or disability.